Tuesday, January 29, 2008



I’m a Grocery Genius!

I was at the grocery store the other day and it hit me that I’m a Grocery Genius now. (Just call me GG for short.) When I was single I had no clue where stuff was at the store and now I can break it down by isle and sometimes know the shelf so well that I can walk by and grab the product on the run. This, of course is only true when you’re there late at night, there’s no one standing in front of the item and you’re not being hounded by the GAGWOWTH. (Granola Apron-Wearing Guy Who Only Wants To Help.)

Yes, you guessed it, I shop at Whole Foods, the cartel of all that is organic and if you decided you wanted to be a rebel, live in the city, and never attend college (but get steel appendages all over your body) then this is the place for you to work!

It’s scary, I was about to leave the house around 8:00 pm the other night and I’m looking at the list my wife has put together. For someone who is a type “A” (her) personality I have to laugh that the list has no order and me, being the type W (W for “Why do it now, really?”) I need to have order. Maybe it’s the genetic male shopping gene (GQ-7-11) which points us like a compass to the area or item we want to buy without the dilly-dallying that women are experts at. I take the list and I start numbering the items by row in the store. For example:

Cucumber 1
Milk 2
Honey 3½
Stir Fry Veggies 8

This way I know where everything is and I don’t miss something on the list. I also scratch off each item as I buy it so I know what I still have left. It amazes me that Terri doesn’t do this and the randomness of looking at the same item on the list, which is already in the cart, would drive me insane!

Have a lovely shopping day,

CC (GG)

No comments: